Dhariwal is the fifth largest town and a municipal council in Gurdaspur district in Punjab, situated on the banks of river Upper Bari Doab. The town is known for its woollen mills. The New Egerton Woollen Miils were established by the British in 1880 and were the only mills in Punjab at that time. The town of Dhariwal grew into existence because of the Mills.
The site is triangular in shape with a canal abutting on one of the longer sides and a railway line crossing along the other. Only a small part of the mill is under operation while 90% of the built up area is abandoned and covered in vegetation. The site constitutes one of the industrial landmarks with its historical significance and the colonial architectural value.
Information and Images: Ravi Sandhu, Architect DRONAH